Simon Collins Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The place to discuss all things about Simon Collins & related. Especially about his new album, U-Catastrophe out on ITunes NOW!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

KID -Squids Post --05/23/07

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sj33Admin
Admin
Sj33Admin

KID -Squids Post --05/23/07 Empty
PostSubject: KID -Squids Post --05/23/07   KID -Squids Post --05/23/07 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 7:20 pm

Hi there. Some of you know me, some of you don't. My name is Dave and I go by the nick name "Squids" (please don't ask! haha jk). I make software instrument plug-ins that musicians all over the world, including Genesis, use to make music on the computer.

I met Simon Collins at the Genesis rehearsals in New York and since then we've been working together on his upcoming third album. The first track we worked on was a Genesis song that we both love. I was keeping which song a secret for a while when talking about it but there's an interview just published in English where the cat's out of the bag. That interview with Simon is here if you're interested: http://www.dusk.it/index_uk.html

I co-produced "Keep it Dark" with him and it's being mixed right now in Vegas. (Vegas baby Vegas!) It's a darker version and more progressive, electronic... we even squeezed in a little bit of mellotron and a volume pedal guitar nod to The Lamb in the intro! Everthing was played by myself, Simon, Kelly and Julian. It was all made with our software Studiophonik, SampleTron, Sonik Synth, SampleTank, AmpliTube, CSR and Tracks from IK and Sonic Reality (for those interested in the technical side).

Anyway, I wanted to open up this thread to talk about it if you're interested. We're releasing it in June... so very soon! We're doing it as a tribute to Genesis for their 40th anniversary and well... because we really wanted an excuse to anyway! Some people may know that I played keyboards on a one off tribute to Genesis' 20th anniversary of The Lamb. It was with a band called "Giraffe" with Kevin Gilbert and Nick D' Virgilio (who fronts Spock's Beard and played some drums on CAS). You don't have to twist my arm to play a Genesis song (although it would make it harder to play, especially Colony of Slippermen - and by the way if you ever play that and have an itch on your nose GOOD LUCK because both hands are constantly busy the whole song... found out the hard way on that).

But, while Simon has been asked by many to do a cover of one of his father's songs or a Genesis song this is the first time he's done it! He's always wanted to but felt more comfortable having a few albums of his own material under his belt before he did that. Well, the time has come and I think it came out really good! His voice on this track sounds like a cross between Phil, Peter Gabriel and his own sound. But it is very "Genesis-like" and I think some of you might like it a lot! I hope so.

I'll let you know when the song is available for download. There's some other interesting Simon/Genesis related news too so I will keep you posted... if it is of interest.

Thanks!
Squids
Back to top Go down
http://www.simoncollins.com

KID -Squids Post --05/23/07
Page 1 of 1