Simon Collins Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The place to discuss all things about Simon Collins & related. Especially about his new album, U-Catastrophe out on ITunes NOW!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

new Phil interview from Swiss magazine

Go down 
AuthorMessage
DJ Libby
SC Moderator
SC Moderator
DJ Libby

new Phil interview from Swiss magazine Empty
PostSubject: new Phil interview from Swiss magazine   new Phil interview from Swiss magazine EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 11:06 pm

Hey guys,

I found this interview from Lillustre on the official Genesis website today and thought I'd put it up here too. Credit goes to MetalMike on the forum for the translation below:

Located in Switzerland for ten years, the former lead singer of Genesis is a discreet man. At 58 years, met in his health, the drummer of emergency can not hold his chopsticks. A tragedy for a musician, he compensates by spending his first two son, Nicholas, age 9, and Matthew, 4 years, without neglecting his new solo album, he polishes his pace. Exclusive interview.

By Blaise Calame

"He wanted to savor the joy of becoming grandfather and asked us to change the date this evening, what we did. Tonight, he keeps his word. Thank you Phil Collins! "The car expilote Wetsch Florian, architect of the gala 50th anniversary of the Geneva Panathlon Club, organized last Friday at the Golf Club in Cologny, is delighted. In the hall, a gathering of personalities and champions of all ages ready to enjoy a rare moment: a mini-concert by Phil Collins, accompanied on this occasion the guitar his childhood friend Ronnie Caryl.
Victim of health problems that prevent him now to play his favorite instrument, the drums, the former frontman of Genesis, residing Féchy (VD), continues acoustic versions of his hits "Another Day In Paradise, Separate Lives and Sussudio, then concludes with a cover of Stand by Me Chills in the audience. The complexion pale but smiling and courteous, as usual, Phil Collins agrees to talk, away from the crowd.

How is your new album, due next year?
Well. This is the first album that I fashioned way, without any record from beginning to end. I'm going piece by piece, because I have a life now, with my boys. I do not want to impose this pace.

How's your voice?
Oh, the voice is fine. It's one of things that still function well at home.

You had a spine problem, is not it?
Not quite. Somewhere during the comeback tour of Genesis, I dislocated three cervical vertebrae, but I never got realized, because I did not suffer.

Is it unusual for a drummer?
The truth is that I have 58 years ... almost 59 and I play drums for fifty years! My back is probably still strong, but vulnerable. I imagine that by moving these vertebrae had to touch the spinal cord, and because of this, I suddenly feel my fingers.

How are you today?
It's the same, I still feel nothing at their end. So I can not really play drums.

If I clip the finger, you feel something?
No, nothing, no pain. I can not play the piano and the percussion, it's not like before.

What was the purpose of the operation that you suffered last April?
It gave me the vertebrae in place.

No postoperative care?
No, no. Doctors bossé well. The operation was a success. It's just that the effects I felt before take considerable time to disappear. And yet, if I'm lucky! I am ready to accept that this is more like never before. I have more strength in the fingers.

At 9 years old, your son Nicholas seems ready to carry the torch. Has he started the battery at the same age as you?
(He smiles.) I've started playing seriously at age 5 years, but I had a battery in 3 years. He also received his first drum set at age 3. Nicholas has a natural talent. Matthew also started. It has not yet 5 years, but it attracts.

Do you spend enough time with your children, your taste?
No, I prefer to live with them. It would be best.

Is it true that the family meets once a week at the track to eat?
We try. Not once a week, in reality, but we try to do as often as possible, which is to say, once every two or three weeks. I have to say about this qu'Orianne and I get along pretty well.

Would you say you've managed your divorce?
Yes. When you get older, you realize that this is the best way to act. This shows that you mature. But many people do not think that way. They go their separate ways, they try to rewrite their life. I feel lucky. I married three times and I get along really well with my former companions. Orianne and I are very close. Because boys, of course, but also because we represent a lot for each other. She has a friend and myself, I have a girlfriend who does not live in Switzerland.

Your friend is she often you see Féchy?
It is, yes, occasionally, even if I still live here in my own way.

Are you happy that your son grow up here?
Yes, I love Switzerland. I never had the intention to leave the country when my marriage ended. I'm here because my children live there. We are only separated by ten minute drive. But I love my life in Switzerland. I have many close friends.

How did you welcome the birth of your first grandchild, Zoe Amelie end of October?
I went to spend three-four days with her in Canada.

Are you happy to be grandfather to 58 years?
Of course! And I'm glad my age.

You are not a nostalgic man?
If I am nostalgic, I'm too sentimental, but I do not hang up the past.

You also describe yourself as a romantic man?
Yes, certainly, very romantic. I fundamentally believe that such should never go to bed on an argument.

A little old fashioned?
(He smiles.) Yes, perhaps. I think it is important, especially if you've had a long relationship with children, to promote dialogue. When you have a problem, the rule sometimes in the morning for breakfast. When we do not live together, the risk that the situation is growing worse. That said, I know my children are covered with attention. I am a happy guy. It's just one more step in my life.

It tells you a fan of football, it's true?
Yes.

What is your favorite team?
Well ... Nicholas and Matthew like Manchester United, and I must admit that I like too see this evolving team when it plays well.

And Barcelona?
(Interloqué.) no.

You are really an Englishman!
(He laughs.) But I prefer Manchester United to Chelsea!

What is your favorite football player in the world?
I tell Cristiano Ronaldo that we enjoyed when he moved to Manchester United. Not only is a brilliant player, but it's a terrific guy, just as was, in my opinion, David Beckham.

In 2010, we celebrate the 25th anniversary of Live Aid concert for Africa. All this has really served any purpose?
I think so, yes. This has made people more attentive to such problems. Now that he transformed the lives of victims? Probably not, but that's the fault of governments.

Do you stay friends with Peter Gabriel?
Yes, of course. The last time I talked to him, was to announce my intention to retire. He advised me not to do and I appreciated his arguments, but I, I needed something else. I like the album on which I work, of course, and I still love music, but I'm not a rock star. See, even tonight, I was anxious about playing here.

Really?
Yes. The last concert I gave was a year ago, the Chestnut (GE) and its predecessor, it was a year earlier. I do more concerts. All this makes me too nervous.

link to source: http://www.illustre.ch/pour_phil_la_batterie_fini_41282_.html
Back to top Go down
http://genesislive.ning.com/profile/DJLibby

new Phil interview from Swiss magazine
Page 1 of 1